Who isn’t lovin’ the sock bun? It is cute, fashionable and perfect for mornings when there is just no time to wash and dry your hair.
Many of the girls I work with regularly ask me if I have a sock bun in my hair or how I created such an “adorable bun.” The truth is I have never attempted a sock bun, as I have heard in the blogosphere and from friends that it’s harder than it looks.
Before I cut my hair throwing my hair up in a bun was so easy, but now that it’s six inches shorter I need a lot more pins and a lot more patience. With all that hair gone and many failed attempts at styling my hair the way I use to, I was starting to worry that I wouldn’t be able to ever again create a massive, beehive-like bun.
But last week when I was over at my best friend Erika’s house she restored my faith by showing me how to make a simple bun without a sock that is just as big, or bigger, than the ones I use to make.
I have said in the past that the best beauty advice comes from friends and this is a great example. So from my best friend to you, below is a step by step guide to create the perfect bun.
1. The recipe for a great bun begins with unwashed hair and a lot of hairspray.
2. Spray hairspray all over your hair and backcomb the front. Backcombing your hair will add a bit of volume to your hair, so that it doesn’t look slicked into the bun.
3. Brush your hair up into a ponytail near the top of your head. Make your pony tail higher or lower depending on how high you want the bun to eventually sit.
4. Now that your hair is in a perfect ponytail, it is time use Erika’s secret and mess it up a little. Backcombing your pony tail like crazy is how to create the volume you need to make a massive, nest-like bun.
5. Wrap your back combed ponytail into the shape you want your bun to be.
6. Once you’ve placed your bun, by wrapping it, pin it where you want it to sit.
7. Once your bun is pinned, add more hairspray and you should have a lovely, large and in charge bun sitting on top of your head!
I hope this was helpful! If you have any more questions, leave me a comment below!
Now go and share your new bun making skills with your best friend, so she can share it with her best friend and so on and so on.
Until next time…